Barnet twice came from behind to secure a 2-2 draw at home to Chesterfield in the National League.

Spirites debutant Mike Fondop-Talom put them ahead after only two minutes, but by the fourth minute the score was level again through Jack Taylor.

Fondop-Talom restored the lead soon after half-time, however Barnet came back once more to take a share of the points as Simeon Akinola scored his fourth of the season from the penalty spot.

Darren Currie made two changes to the side that lost against Dover Athletic on Tuesday, with Dan Sparkes and Andre Boucaud coming in for Ricardo Santos and David Tutonda.

Making his debut after a move from Wrexham, Fondop-Talom made an instant impact for his new side when rose above the Barnet defence to head home a cross from the right.

The Bees, though, made an instant response and were level with less than five minutes on the clock when Taylor marked his 100th appearance for the club with a stylish curling effort into the top corner.

This gave Barnet the impetus they needed after their early setback and they almost turned the game on its head shortly after – James Dunne saw his effort go wide while Chesterfield’s Shwan Jalal did well to keep out Medy Elito’s acrobatic volley.

In the closing stages of the half, it was Scott Loach’s turn to come to his side’s rescue, getting down well to save from Liam Mandeville headers on two occasions.

Just after the half-time break, though, Loach was powerless to stop Fondop-Talom from adding his second, netting the rebound after the former Watford keeper had denied him at the first attempt.

Chesterfield almost added a third, which would have surely killed the game, soon after, but Loach was left relieved when Scott Boden’s strike curled just wide of the post.

That left Barnet still well in the fixture and they were given a chance to restore parity just after the hour mark when Mason-Clarke was brought down in the area.

Top-scorer Akinola stepped up and sent Jalal the wrong way to net his fourth of the season, enough to have him tied at the top of the league’s scoring charts.

Despite the momentum being with the Bees, it was Chesterfield who came the closest to finding a winner, but they were left frustrated by an incredible double save from Loach.

After keeping them out at the first attempt, he leapt across his goal to tip away David Buchanan’s diving header at the far post.

That was the closest either side came to a winner, and Barnet now turn their attention to this Saturday’s long trip up to North Wales to face Wrexham.