Barnet suffered back-to-back defeats for the first time this season as a sub-par performance saw Dean Brennan’s side go down 2-0 to Gateshead at the Hive on Saturday afternoon.

In a feisty encounter, the Bees struggled to cope with the Gateshead press and were caught wanting on several occasions, but the visitors lacked the killer instinct to punish the home side.

In spite of the early struggles, the first chance of the game fell to Bees’ talisman Danny Collinge as the lively Idris Kanu got the better of his full-back down the left-hand side, but his cross came to nothing as Collinge put a weak header wide from just five yards out.

However, Gateshead really should have been in front on the half-hour mark, as the ball dropped to Greg Olley on the edge of the Barnet box only for the midfielder to fire just wide of Laurie Walker’s goal.

The Bees keeper was then called into action just a few minutes later, after centre-half Adebola Oluwo had surrendered possession with a loose ball that met the feet of Gateshead forward Luke Chadwick, who fired straight at Walker, sparing Oluwko’s blushes.

It didn’t take long for another Gateshead chance, as the excellent Kyran Lofthouse beat three Bees’ defenders before striking the crossbar with a superb solo effort.

The attacking threat of the away side continued to trouble the Bees as wing-back Finley Potter, who was beaten once again in transition, saw Lofthouse race beyond him only to send the ball across goal with nobody waiting to tap into an empty net.

The second half started much like the first, as Gateshead continued to apply the pressure, and it didn’t take long for the first goal of the afternoon to arrive.

A looped cross from a set-piece evaded the head of Dominic Revan before Steven Wearne headed home from close range to give Rob Elliott’s side a well-deserved lead.

Barnet were then forced to respond as two consecutive corners met the head of Collinge, who nodded just wide on both occasions.

Frustrations from the touchline then began to grow, with Dean Brennan clearly unhappy with the slow tempo his players had been exhibiting all afternoon.

The visitors then extended their advantage as the electric Lofthouse got beyond Bees’ wing-back Ben Coker to pull the ball back to Wearne, who expertly slotted home to double his tally a.

Despite the introduction of former Celtic and Norwich City forward Gary Hooper, the Bees couldn’t muster a clear-cut chance to get back into the game as the visitors left north London with all three points to condemn the Bees to their first home defeat of the season.