Adebola Olowu’s late header saw Barnet extend their impressive festive form to three straight wins as they saw off Southend United 1-0 at the Hive on Saturday.

Dean Brennan’s side went into this game on the back of two brilliant results over the Christmas period, hammering local rivals Boreham Wood 6-0 at the Hive just a week ago before seeing off Southend 2-0 at Roots Hall on Boxing Day.

The early stages of the game saw both sides struggle to create any real threat and neither could assert authority in possession.

The first chance of the game fell for the home side when captain Dale Gorman picked the ball up in the Southend half and delivered an excellent cross to the foot of the lively Finley Potter.

The wing-back expertly controlled the ball with his laces but couldn’t find the finish as the onrushing Collin Andeng-Ndi in the Southend goal parried it away from danger.

The Bees continued to apply the pressure on the away side’s back line with Gorman at the heart of it.

The Englishman floated a lovely ball into the box just before the half an hour mark with Andeng-Ndi stranded, but the Southend keeper rose expertly above Nicke Kabamba to claim the ball and snuff out the danger.

Despite being booked for a late challenge on Southend captain Nathan Ralph, Gorman continued to steam into challenges and force the away side into numerous mistakes and attempts to go over the Barnet press.

The Bees skipper’s efforts were in vain, though, as the first half came to a standstill, with both sides unable to find a way through.

The second half began much like the first, as both sides looked to cancel each other out in transition.

Reece Hall-Johnson’s delivery right under the Southend crossbar was palmed away by Andeng-Ndi in the Southend goal and the away side had a good chance of their own, which was beaten away by Laurie Walker.

Just after the hour mark, Southend had the best chance of the game to go in front.

The ball dropped for Henry Sandat just beyond the halfway line who expertly threaded a pass through to substitute Brooklyn Kabongolo, but his tame effort was blocked brilliantly by Walker in the Barnet goal to keep the score goalless.

Kevin Maher’s side grew into the game and went close on two occasions.

Substitute Jack Wood should have done better when he was played in one-on-one with Walker, but smashed his shot over the bar to spare the blushes of Jordan Maguire-Drew who had given the ball away on the edge of his box just seconds earlier.

Finally, the deadlock was broken after 85 minutes and it was the home side who took the lead as a deep free-kick was flicked on at the near post by Kabamba for Oluwo to head home from close range and snatch all three points for the hosts. 

A late Southend surge saw the visitors go close in injury time, but Brennan’s men emerged victorious to make it three wins in a row in the National League.