Arsenal scraped past Porto in the Champions League last-16 on penalties on Tuesday to reach the quarter-finals for the first time since 2010.

Having lost the first leg 1-0, the Gunners had their work cut out against Porto’s resilient defence and time-wasting at the Emirates.

Arsenal struggled in a similar manner to the away leg for much of the game, unable to get the ball off Porto easily and giving away possession by playing long ball after long ball.

For a side that prides itself on control, the chaotic aerial approach was odd to see.

But that tactic ended up leading to Arsenal’s breakthrough just before half-time.

A long ball up to Kai Havertz found its way to captain Martin Odegaard and he slid a brilliant pass through to Leandro Trossard to slot into the far corner and make it 1-0 on the night and 1-1 on aggregate.

The Gunners had the ball in the net again in the second half, Odegaard chipping home after pressure from Havertz, but it was ruled out for a foul by the German.

But aside from that, the hosts created very little across the 90 minutes and extra time with that style of play. Porto played well overall, but it felt like Arsenal played into their hands.

For the penalties, Arsenal scored all four through Odegaard, Havertz, Bukayo Saka and Declan Rice, with David Raya winning the shootout with two big saves.

Arsenal have been a team that have struggled to overcome the biggest moments, for the most part, under Mikel Arteta, losing in the Europa League knockout stages several times, falling out of the domestic cups, and faltering against Manchester City and Liverpool in the Premier League.

But this win feels significant.

Reaching the last 16 of the Champions League at the first attempt since returning to the competition through adversity, beating City and Liverpool at the Emirates in the league, overcoming the big moments - it’s the sign of a truly elite team.

And yet, there is still so much of the season to go and so many challenges along the way.

Arsenal’s next game will be Manchester City away at the Etihad on March 31 before the next round of the Champions League kicks off again in April.