Barnet suffered their first defeat of pre-season as the Bees were beaten 4-1 by Championship side Charlton Athletic.

Goals from Bradley Wright-Phillips, Jan Kermorgant and Jonnie Jackson put the Addicks comfortably ahead but Jon Nurse pulled one back for the Bees before the break.

The second period was an uneventful affair but the Charlton did add a fourth as Kermorgant curled in his second free-kick of the match. Ricky Holmes was absent from the Bees squad due to injury while trialist Bryon Anthony began at right-back.

Charlton started the contest brightly and should have opened the scoring in the first minute after a mistake from Clovis Kamdjo allowed Wright-Phillips a one-on-one chance.

Fortunately for the Bees, Liam O’Brien saved his effort and Jonnie Jackson’s rebound was tipped over. However, two minutes later and the Championship side went ahead.

Wright-Phillips again broke behind the Barnet defence and this time he fired his shot into the bottom corner. The goal seemed to help the Bees settle and they began to pass the ball well.

New signing Anthony Edgar saw a shot mishandled by Ben Hamer but the ball was cleared by the visitor's defence.

A couple of half chances came and went for the Bees but a moment of quality doubled the Addicks’ lead.

After Mark Byrne had given away a foul just outside the area, Kermorgant curled the resulting free-kick past O’Bren into the top corner.

Another shot from distance from Edgar once again caused Hamer problems but Barnet struggled to create a clear opportunity in the first half.

Chris Powell’s side then increased their advantage as a deep cross was well met at the back-post by Jackson and his header beat O'Brien.

With the half drawing to a close, the Bees pulled a goal back as a deflected shot dropped to Nurse in the area and the striker hit a low drive past Hamer.

Robson made only one change at the break with trialist Anthony replaced at right-back by Andy Yiadom.

There was little goal mouth action in the opening period of the half as both teams cancelled each other out.

But Charlton managed to get their fourth as, once again, Kermorgant managed to plant a free-kick into O’Brien’s corner.

A shot from distance by Mark Byrne followed but failed to cause the Addicks defence any trouble and Robson brought on Jake Hyde and Danny Uchechi to liven up the attack.

While Barnet continued to show plenty of endeavour, bar the goal, they hadn’t really threatened the Charlton backline throughout.

The match drifted to a close and while the result was disappointing, it was a good work out for the Bees as they continue their preparations for the new season.

Barnet: O'Brien, Anthony, Kamdjo, Fortune, Brown; Edgar, Lee, Abdulla, Byrne; Vilhete, Nurse.

Barnet substitutes: Johnson, Raymond, Saville, Hyde, Gambin, Yiadom, Cowler, Girvan, Uchechi,

Charlton Athletic: Hamer; Wilson, Cort, Morrison, Evina; Jackson, Pritchard, Stevens, Kerkar; Wright-Phillips, Kermorgant.

Charlton Athletic substitutes: Solly, Wiggins, Taylor, Smith, Wagstaff, Cook, Haynes, Green. Attendance: 856.