Barnet continue their search for a first victory of the season after Gillingham eased to a 3-1 victory at Underhill to remain top of League Two.

Martin Allen’s side took an early lead as Jack Payne and Danny Kedwell both scored in the space of a minute.

A Jack Saville header brought the Bees back into the contest before Deon Burton re-established the Gills two goal advantage at the break.

The second half was fairly uneventful and the visitors eased their way to victory.

Barnet boss Mark Robson made three changes to his side with David Stephens, Clovis Kamdjo and Jon Nurse starting in place of Jonathan Fortune, Oliver Lee and Jake Hyde.

A familiar pattern is developing in Barnet’s matches this season. They start fairly well, try to set a passing rhythm, only to then to concede an early goal.

On this occasion, it was two goals in the space of a minute. Payne got the first as his half volley from the edge of the box flew into the corner of Graham Stack’s net.

From the restart, Mark Byrne lost possession in his half and the Gills broke away. Charlie Allen clipped a cross into the box and Kedwell was unmarked and headed in. It was too easy.

Barnet reacted. They started to control possession and pressed Martin Allen’s side higher up the Underhill pitch. And, on 22 minutes, the Bees pulled a goal back.

A Mark Byrne corner found Saville and he headed past Stuart Nelson.

The revitalised home support, spurred on by Robson, helped the Bees continue the momentum the goal brought.

Nurse then came close with a clever flick towards goal after good work on the wing by Andy Yiadom.

However, Barnet fell further behind seven minutes before the interval.

A long throw caused the Bees' defence problems. It wasn’t cleared and Burton eased above Fuller at the back post to head in.

After the restart Robson made two substitutions as Byrne and Saville departed with injuries.

Jake Hyde and John Oster replaced the duo and Kamdjo moved into defence.

Following the changes Nurse forced Nelson into a save with an effort from close range before Burton headed over.

It was a subdued second period but Gillingham did create the better opportunities to add to the scoring. Allen sent an effort narrowly wide before Charlie Lee headed just over from a corner.

Barnet fleetingly threatened. Curtis Weston fired over from a tight angle. Ricky Holmes, who caused the Gillingham defence problems with his direct dribbling, forced Nelson into a near post stop before the Bees couldn’t use a series of corners to their advantage.

Nurse sent a half volley well over the crossbar in stoppage time as the Gills saw out the game with little fuss.

Barnet are on the road next week when they take on Bradford City.

Barnet: Stack; Fuller, Stephens, Saville (Hyde 50), Brown; Kamdjo, Byrne (Oster 46), C. Weston; Yiadom (Lowe 90) Holmes, Nurse.

Barnet substitutes: Lee, Abdulla, Warren, Cowler, Hyde, Lowe.

Gillingham: Nelson; Fish (Flanagan 84), Martin, Barrett, Davies; Lee, Allen, Payne, Whelpdale (Weston 68); Burton (Strevens 72), Kedwell.

Gillingham substitutes: Forecast, Flanagan, Frampton, Dack, Montrose, M.Weston, Strevens.

Attendance: 2,834 (1,144).