Not even the arrival of Edgar Davids could inspire Barnet to their first win of the season as the Bees suffered a 4-1 home defeat against Plymouth Argyle.

The Pilgrims established a two goal lead in the opening ten minutes. Rhys Griffiths netted a controversial penalty before Maxime Blanchard powerfully headed a corner in.

Davids Stephens pulled a goal back for the Bees but a second half header from Paris Cowen-Hall and a stunning injury time free-kick from Luke Young condemned Barnet to yet another defeat.

The feel-good atmosphere around Underhill created by Davids’ addition to the coaching staff faded after just two minutes.

Referee Fred Graham wrongly judged Mark Byrne had brought down Young in the box and he pointed to the spot.

Griffiths stepped up and fired past Graham Stack in the Barnet goal. The Pilgrims soon doubled their lead from a corner.

Alex MacDonald crossed and Blanchard rose highest to head home.

The simplicity of the goal understandably frustrated the home supporters.

Collins John’s debut for the Bees then ended after just 14 minutes due to injury, he was replaced by John Oster.

With the Barnet fan’s pre-match hope almost extinguished, their side pulled a goal back.

A Byrne corner dropped to Stephens in the box and he coolly slotted past Jake Cole.

The introduction of Oster allowed Barnet to control possession but, apart from a neat flick from Jake Hyde which went narrowly wide, they failed to test Cole.

Plymouth continued to look dangerous when they did attack. Young headed over before Griffiths forced Stack into a save with a clever effort from distance.

The visitors made a change at the interval as Guy Madjo was replaced by Andres Gurrieri and they nearly extended their advantage immediately after the restart.

Krystian Pearce’s poor pass back allowed Griffiths to touch the ball past the onrushing Stack but the striker shot wide. It was a let off for the Bees.

Gurrieri helped Plymouth regain control of midfield and he came close with fierce strike which Stack saved well.

Barnet struggled to regain the momentum they’d built up towards the end of the first half and they fell further behind on the hour as Cowen-Hall glanced a header past Stack.

The Bees created little in the second period but Pearce did see a header cleared off the line from a Byrne corner.

Plymouth continued to push forward but only good defending from Pearce and Stephens kept the visitors at bay.

However, the Pilgrims did add a fourth goal. A free-kick 25-yards out was taken by Young and he curled his effort into the top corner in stoppage time to complete a resounding win.

Barnet: Stack; Fuller, Pearce, Stephens, Brown; Yiadom (Edgar 72), Bryne, Kamdjo, Holmes (Lowe 80); Hyde, John (Oster 14).

Barnet substitutes: O’Brien, Nurse, Lee, Oster, Lowe, Edgar, Johnson.

Plymouth Argyle: Cole, Berry, Williams, S.Griffiths, Hourihane, R.Griffiths (Chadwick 83), MacDonald (Lennox 72), Blanchard, Young, Madjo (Gurrieri 45), Cowen-Hall.

Plymouth substitutes: Gilmartin, Nelson, Richards, Lowry, Chadwick, Lennox, Gurrieri. Attendance: 3,329.