A man-of-the-match performance on his debut from Edgar Davids helped Barnet to their first win of the season as the Bees thumped Northampton Town 4-0.

After a goalless opening period, Krystian Pearce headed Barnet into the lead and Andy Yiadom added a second just after the hour.

The Bees sealed the victory late on as John Oster smashed in a third before Anthony Edgar dribbled past two defenders and fired into the corner.

Davids was one of three changes to the Barnet side with Edgar and Oster replacing Ricky Holmes, Mark Byrne and Collins John in the starting XI.

After an even opening to the game both teams came close with free-kicks. Emyr Huws saw his effort narrowly miss the post before John Oster forced Lee Nicholls into a good stop.

Davids’ first real contribution in the contest saw him booked for a foul on Kemar Roofe.

Northampton began to control the half and should have gone ahead. Clive Platt controlled a long pass and flicked the ball into the path of the Alex Nicholls but the midfielder’s effort flew wide of the far post.

The Cobblers best chance of the half fell to Nicholls. A quick free-kick into the Barnet box drifted to the backpost and Nicholls headed towards goal. Fortunately for the Bees, Graham Stack produced a fine save.

The visitors continued to create the better opportunities. Ben Tozer fired wide when he should have passed before Adebayo Akinfenwa missed a header shortly before the interval.

Barnet began the second period on the front foot and seven minutes after the restart went ahead.

The best move of the match led to the goal. A quick interchange of passes released Davids on the right. He cross dropped to Edgar but his well struck shot was brilliantly stopped by Lee Nicholls.

From the resulting Oster corner, Pearce escaped his marker and glanced a header into the far corner.

Although Barnet continued to defend nervously they looked more threatening going forward and Davids began to assert his influence on the game.

Given the Bees form this season a second goal would be vital if they were to claim victory. Just past the hour they got it.

Neat passing freed Jake Hyde down the right, his low cross dropped to Yiadom and he skipped past a defender and smashed his effort into the top corner.

Barnet started to pass the ball confidently and only a fine interception denied Yiadom a second goal.

Despite going behind, Northampton rarely threatened the Bees defence.

With the game drifting to a close, Barnet added a third.

After good build up, the ball to passed to Oster and he struck an effort into the corner from distance.

There was still time for Barnet to grab a fourth. Edgar collected a pass and nipped past two defenders before smashing into the far corner.

Mark Robson and Davids will hope their side can build on the victory when they visit Wycombe Wanderers on Tuesday.

Barnet: Stack; Fuller, Pearce, Stephens, Brown; Kamdjo, Oster, Davids; Yiadom, Edgar, Hyde.

Barnet substitutes: Cowler, Saville, Byrne, Lowe, Lee, Abdulla, Nurse.

Northampton Town: L.Nicholls, Hackett (Wilson,52), Langmead, Charles, Widdowson; Roofe, Tozer, Huws, A.Nicholls; Akinfenwa, Platt (Mukendi, 65).

Northampton Town substitutes: Demontagnac, Snedker, Mukendi, Wilson, Moult, Hornby.

Attendance: 2,721 (774).