Barnet rescued a point with just two minutes remaining when Jamal Campbell-Ryce over hit his cross from the left wing with the flight of the ball catching out the Crawley Town keeper Glenn Morris at the far post to secure a 2-2 draw.

In a tight match the Bees had twice rallied to draw level and whilst their second goal was fortuitous, Campbell Ryce had earned his slice of luck with his best performance in a Barnet shirt.

Barnet made two changes to the side that tasted defeat at Accrington a week beforehand with defenders Elliott Johnson and Ricardo Santos returning at the expense of Harry Taylor and Bira Dembele, who dropped to the bench.

The Bees began in a positive mood with forwards John Akinde, playing against one of his former clubs, and Simeon Akinola giving the Crawley rearguard some anxious moments.

Against the run of play the visitors took the lead just after half-an-hour of play when Rhys Murphy's twice deflected shot found the back of the net, leaving Barnet’s emergency loan keeper from Oxford United, Benjamin Buchel, wrong-footed.

The Bees took just eight minutes to find an equaliser. Campbell-Ryce, who was impressing with his willingness to run with the ball, picked out Akinola and his spectacular over-head bicycle kick left Crawley keeper Morris helpless for his first goal for the club since his move from Braintree in the January transfer window.

With the game bursting into life, a Charlie Clough header from a trademark teasing free-kick delivery from Ruben Bover almost gave Barnet a half-time lead but the sides were level at the interval.

Midfielder Ryan Watson replaced Bover at half-time and the substitute went close with a volley in the opening minute of the second period with a Santos header also not far away moments later.

Then against the run of play Crawley re-established a lead. Enzio Boldewijn, the visitors’ right-winger and their most dangerous outlet, managed to get past Johnson down the right wing before cutting in and firing a powerful shot that gave the Büchel, Barnet’s Liechtenstein international keeper no chance.

Defender Clough then had a shot from distance that missed the upright by a whisker and then when well positioned he headed the ball straight at Morris.

As the second half progressed the Bees enjoyed periods of sustained pressure, although both sides were now showing signs of tiredness following their midweek exertions.

Crawley, with defensive substitutions and changes to their formation, attempted to stem the flow towards their goal with Clough spurning a good opportunity as the clock ticked down.

Campbell-Ryce’s equaliser in the 88th minute was not the end of the drama as Buchel was forced into a great double-save from Jimmy Smith and James Collins, while a Dean Cox volley needed to be charged down in a dramatic finale as both sides tried in vain for a winning goal.

Both sides could make out a case why they should have a claimed a victory, but with their efforts a point apiece seemed a fair return.

Barnet: Buchel, Clough, Nelson, Santos, Johnson, Vilhete (Cojocarel 80), Bover (Watson 46), Champion, Campbell-Ryce, Akinola (Coulson 84), Akinde. Subs not used: Dembele, H Taylor, McKenzie-Lyle, Sweeney.