Two wins in four days has cemented a bright start to Barnet's season in both League Two and the League Cup - and a scalp over promotion-favourites Luton Town at The Hive on Saturday.

Jack Taylor's late strike was the difference in a 1-0 win against the Hatters, who found Jamie Stephens between the Bees' posts impervious and the hosts resilient in defence.

First-half injuries to Harry Taylor and Elliott Johnson disrupted Barnet's first-half rhythm, but after the interval they improved.

And Taylor's 25-yard curling effort, in the first minute of added time, would prove enough to claim the Bees' first league win of the campaign, and lift them to fourth in an embryonic League Two table.

Boss Rossi Eames has settled on a back three of Ricardo Santos, Michael Nelson and David Tutonda and was able to welcome back Curtis Weston, the veteran midfielder replacing teenager Wes Fonguck.

That was the only change to the starting line-up from the team that defeated Peterborough United in the Carabao Cup in midweek.

But Barnet’s plans were soon in disarray when wing-back Elliott Johnson suffered a knee injury and was substituted in the sixth minute. Charlie Clough came off the bench and moved into the defence, with Tutonda pushing forward into the wing-back berth.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce looked bright and alert in the early exchanges but it was the visitors who soon began to dominate possession with Stephens making an excellent save just after the quarter of an hour mark when he pushed a firm header from Dan Potts onto the crossbar.

Jack Taylor replaced his brother Harry with 10 minutes remaining of the first-half with the Barnet faithful questioning the nature of the visitors’ sometimes over-eager challenges.

The first-half unsurprisingly finished scoreless with the Barnet keeper looking unbeatable and with genuine goal-scoring opportunities at a premium.

But from the first whistle of the second, the Bees were keen to push forward with Campbell-Ryce flashing a chance narrowly wide of the target - yet ironically striking a corner flag so tight was the angle.

A Mauro Vilhete effort tested Marek Stech but the Hatters keeper made a fine low save that produced a corner to the Bees. This was a sign that although much of the play was in Barnet’s half they always posed a goal threat on the break themselves.

In time added on Jack Taylor took charge of a situation on the edge of the penalty area before thumping a shot that left Stech floundering in its wake.

Urged on by vociferous backing Luton tried desperately to force their way back into the match, but the Bees showed grit and determination to keep the visitors at bay.

In the dying moments Potts then had a shot blocked and with keeper Stech pushed up into the attack an Elliot Lee header was kept out by the impressive Stephens for the gritty Bees to hang on for a victory that lifts them into fourth.

The Bees have started the campaign in impressive style, remain undefeated after three matches, and significantly they have looked a well-drilled and composed outfit.

All of this without last season’s top scorer and striker John Akinde - who is still sidelined with injury.

Barnet: Stephens, H. Taylor (J Taylor 36), Santos, Nelson, Tutonda, Johnson (Clough 6), Vilhete, Campbell-Ryce, Weston (Fonguck 71), Coulthirst, Akpa-Akpro.

Not used: Akinola, Bover, Ross, Amaluzor.