Barnet once more got themselves into a winning position only to be denied three points by conceding a late goal in a 1-1 draw against Carlisle United at Brunton Park.

An individual effort by Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro had given the Bees an early lead only for Carlisle to level with an equally spectacular strike by Shaun Miller in the 85th minute.

Star forward John Akinde was introduced as a substitute in the 74th minute but did not finish the match, leaving the field of play in time added on as a precaution with a possible hamstring injury.

Barnet’s starting line-up was unchanged from the side that was narrowly defeated by table-topping Exeter City in midweek at The Hive.

The visitors were the first to settle and following a punt upfield in the eighth minute by Barnet keeper Craig Ross, Shaq Coulthirst flicked the ball on into the path of Akpa Akpro.

With a deft flick the striker escaped the clutches of the Carlisle defence and sped goalwards. His first effort hit a post but keeping his calm, Akpa Akpro netted the rebound.

This goal jolted the Cumbrians into life but the Bees would hold firm to repel the hosts for the entire first half. In fact Akpa Akpro could have extended Barnet’s lead but he headed over the bar when well positioned.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce was set up by Coulthirst and David Tutonda was inches away from making contact as the ball sped across the box, with the Bees being good value for their lead at the interval.

When the whistle sounded for half-time, it was clear the visitors had frustrated the home crowd such was their reaction to what they had seen.

Barnet again had opportunities to take charge of the fixture early in the second half, but a second goal would prove elusive.

A Coulthirst effort forced Shamal George into a good save and an enticing cross into the middle by the impressive Tutonda was wasted as no Barnet forward had anticipated the ploy.

As the game entered the closing stages, Carlisle upped the pressure on the Barnet goal, with a Richie Bennett header going over the crossbar and good work by Miller causing consternation in the defence.

With five minutes of normal time remaining the hosts levelled. A long ball delivered to the edge of the Barnet penalty area was controlled by Miller, who then expertly hooked the ball over his shoulder and into the net.

When Akinde rushed through in on goal a late winner for the Bees looked on the cards. But his effort was blocked and came to nothing, with the striker being injured in the process.

Carlisle also got themselves into promising positions in time added on. Michael Nelson made a crucial tackle and Ross performed heroics to keep a last-gasp effort back from the goal-line.

Barnet: Ross, Santos, Nelson, Clough, H.Taylor, Vilhete, Campbell-Ryce (Bover 52), J.Taylor (Fonguck 65), Tutonda, Akpa Akpro, Coulthirst (Akinde 74). Subs not used: Shomotun, Mason-Clark, Smith, McKenzie-Lyle.