Barnet suffered their third home defeat of the season after being sunk by an 89th-minute goal to give Crawley Town a 2-1 win at The Hive.

The Bees had been on course for a point having levelled almost immediately after the visitors had taken the lead just after the hour mark.

Crawley had adopted an attacking approach throughout and with the home side delivering a spluttering performance, the visitors were always in with a chance of securing all three points.

Conceding late goals is becoming a major headache for the Bees. Points are being lost on a regular basis and this is clearly something that needs to be addressed if a genuine bid for a play-off spot is to be mounted.

Crawley were the first to threaten as both Jordan Roberts and Lewis Young got their shots away when the visitors were able to get the ball into dangerous areas.

Enzio Boldewijn then hit the woodwork with a header for the visitors in a goalmouth melee before the ball was eventually cleared.

Barnet keeper Craig Ross produced the first of a number of excellent saves when he managed to tip wide an effort from Jimmy Smith that looked destined to curl into the net from 20 yards.

It wasn’t until the 15th minute that the Bees produced a move of note. Jack Taylor advanced goal-wards, leaving defenders in his wake before releasing a powerful shot from 25 yards. Crawley keeper Glenn Morris parried the ball wide of the goal with the predatory Shaq Coulthirst just unable to reach the rebound.

Coulthirst then set up Andre Blackman with an astute lay-off, with the wing-back’s shot being blocked for a corner.

Coulthirst then had two good efforts on goal as the Bees finished the first half marginally on top after playing second fiddle for much of the opening 45 minutes.

The second period started with both sides producing little by way of coherent play, although Smith nearly gave the Reds a lead in the 55th minute with a glancing header when he got free inside the six-yard box.

Five minutes later, David Tutonda made an excellent block to stop Young’s effort from close range finding its target.

But the game did gather some momentum, with the visitors opening the scoring in the 63rd minute only for the Bees to level within two minutes.

Dutchman Boldewijn first carved the Bees open down the left before picking out Crawley skipper Smith, who stretched to steer the ball past Ross.

Mauro Vilhete then showed determination and tenacity to set up an opportunity for substitute Simeon Akinola, who steered the ball home from a couple of yards.

Having pulled level, the hosts did not exert sufficient pressure on the Crawley defence to warrant a winning goal and the visitors showed their intent by always keeping two forwards in attacking positions even when defending corners.

With just one minute of normal time remaining Mark Connolly, pushing up from defence down the right, was allowed far too much time on the ball, which he used to good advantage by picking out Smith to head home.

Yelps of joy erupted from the small travelling band of Crawley followers with Barnet fans, in contrast, having the all too familiar feeling of seeing their side concede a late goal for the third consecutive match.

Barnet: Ross, Tutonda, Nelson, Clough, Blackman, J Taylor (Fonguck 75), Vilhete, H Taylor (Mars 90), Campbell-Ryce, Coulthirst, Akpa Akpro (Akinola 65). Subs not used: Bover, Mason-Clark, Smith, McKenzie-Lyle.