Barnet won a point by being level after 90 minutes but failed to pick up a bonus point as Luton Town won 4-3 on penalties in their Checkatrade Trophy clash at Kenilworth Road.

The hosts made 11 alterations to their starting line-up from the weekend while the Bees made five; resting veterans Michael Nelson, Jamal Campbell-Ryce and three other regulars.

The attendance of only just over 1500 reflected the low level of interest this competition attracts and the best that can be said for it is that it gives fringe players an opportunity to stake a claim for a place in a league line-up.

On occasions these matches can provide a change from the routine and with the pressure off, both sides can relax and put on an entertaining display.

This was not the case at Kennilworth Road. The lack of occasion took most of the edge off the game and the play was often sluggish.

The lack of cohesion was not a surprise since the players had little or no experience of playing together.

The Bees had an excellent opportunity to take an early lead when Jack Taylor should have headed home from a well-flighted free-kick from Ruben Bover.

An unmarked Malakai Mars should also have scored with a headed effort in the second half following an Ephron Mason-Clark cross.

But with just over an hour of play gone the Bees were awarded a penalty. Andre Blackman, following up a slack back-pass, was fouled by James Shea and referee John Busby awarded a penalty and issued a red card to the Luton keeper.

Dramatically, after the referee was reminded of the recent law change he rescinded the red card, awarding only a yellow.

Jack Taylor’s confident spot-kick found the corner but the hosts would be level within two minutes when impressive forward Elliot Lee curled home a cracker from 20 yards that had Craig Ross beaten from the moment it left his boot.

The goal galvanised the Hatters and Barnet were put under sustained pressure for a spell.

As the clock ticked down both sides had chances to snatch a victory; a Jack Taylor effort going only narrowly wide of the mark.

David Tutonda and Ricardo Santos would then miss from 12 yards enabling Luton to claim the bonus point.

There were some positive performances for the Bees; teenager Mars was energetic and harried defenders up front but it was difficult for him to make an impact as the lone striker.

Sixteen-year-old Dwight Pascal at right-back did not look out of place, despite his tender years.

Midfielders Wes Fonguck and Jack Taylor had a good understanding in midfield, forged during the time in the youth Academy.

But despite claiming their first point in this competition, progressing out of the group stage is now a near-impossibility for Barnet.

Barnet: Ross, Clough, Santos, J.Taylor, Tutonda, Bover (Shomotum 73), Fonguck, Blackman (Kyei 69), Mason-Clark, Mars (Aghadiuno 61), Pascal. Subs not used: Akinola, H.Taylor, Smith, McKenzie-Lyle.