Accrington Stanley came to the Hive in second place in the table but were relieved to leave with a point following a 1-1 draw, with John Akinde going very close late on to giving the Bees consecutive home victories.

Barnet had taken the lead through a neat finish from Alex Nicholls in the 18th minute but Stanley drew level with a disputed second-half penalty converted by League 2’s top scorer Billy Kee.

Barnet boss Graham Westley made three changes to the side that were beaten 2-0 at Yeovil Town in midweek.

Jack Taylor and Mauro Vilhete won recalls in midfield and, having served his three-match suspension, Dan Sweeney returned at centre-back.

In bright sunshine Barnet started the game in a positive manner which soon had the visitors reeling.

Taylor and Vilhete were getting early crosses into the penalty area from out wide with the Stanley defence looking uncertain.

The Bees took the lead when Vilhete intelligently played the ball into the path of Nicholls and from just inside the penalty area, the Barnet striker beat the visitors’ keeper Aaron Chapman with ease.

Moments later a strong Ricardo Santos header from a Ryan Watson free-kick almost doubled Barnet’s advantage but Chapman pulled off an excellent save.

The hosts then went close to extending their lead again with a Richard Brindley free-kick flew that flew just over the bar as the Bees deservedly led at the interval.

The visitors were a more determined outfit during the second half, clearly having received a stern talking to from experienced manager John Coleman.

Early in the second period Liam Nolan had an effort well-saved by Craig Ross and Seamus Connelly, when well-positioned, spurned a good opportunity by shooting over the crossbar.

Accrington were now forcing the issue but the Barnet rear-guard looked equal to the task, with Sweeney and Santos a formidable pairing in the centre of the defence.

Then from a long-throw from the left by Janoi Donacien. Sweeney was harshly adjudged to have pushed Jimmy Dunne with referee Brett Huxtable awarding a penalty. Kee made no mistake from 12 yards.

Accrington substitute Erico De Sousa was then a danger down the left flank with the visitors pushing for a winner.

The Bees held firm during this period and managed some attacks of their own, with both sides eagerly seeking a winning goal.

In a dramatic finish it was the Bees who looked the most likely to secure the three points, with an Akinde header going desperately close and a collision between the Barnet striker and the visitors’ keeper prompting a vociferous penalty appeal.

The Bees remain rooted to the bottom of the table but the side is now more resilient under the management of Westley.

Barnet are six points adrift at the bottom of the table but have an opportunity to claw back some of the deficit on Tuesday night when they host Carlisle United.

Barnet: Ross, Brindley (Clough 69), Santos, Sweeney, Tutonda, J.Taylor (Nicholson 80) Watson, Weston, Vilhete (Akinola 54), Nicholls, Akinde. Subs not used: Coulthirst, Sule, Legg, Plavotic.