Councillor Brian Coleman condemns Tube strike for causing '48 hours of hell'

Times Series: Councillor Brian Coleman Councillor Brian Coleman

An independent Barnet councillor has attacked London Underground staff for causing commuters “48 hours of hell" after they walked out in a row over plans to cut jobs and close ticket offices.

Councillor Brian Coleman has condemned members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers union (RMT) and Transport Salaried Staffs' Association (TSSA) for taking strike action over the proposed plans which could see 950 jobs being cut

Speaking on today’s Jeremy Vine show on BBC Radio Two, Cllr Coleman refuted RMT union leader Bob Crow’s claims that ticket offices play a vital role at London Underground stations. 

Mr Crow said: “You need a ticket office because at this moment in time people can’t get all their tickets from Oyster cards.

"The risk assessment that London Underground did when they said they wanted to do away with these 1,000 jobs made it quite clear that if you was disabled it would be a lot harder to get a ticket and to get around the system because they would want directions, and secondly if you were partially sighted or can’t speak English as good as other people it becomes hard as well.”

But Cllr Coleman made the point that older people and those with disabilities do not need a ticket because they can use a freedom pass.

Cllr Coleman added: “Is this really a reason why Londoners and many other commuters have got to suffer 48 hours of hell and why London businesses have got to suffer a fall in takings for a silly row over modern progress?”

He went on to say the next step should be to get rid of drivers on the Tube.

Cllr Coleman told the Times Series he was speaking out on behalf of “all those thousands of people who were stranded” in Barnet this morning.

Tube staff walked out at 9pm yesterday, and will continue their strike action tomorrow.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:50pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Mr E Dance says...

Not sure this man is best placed to comment on public transport issues. He always preferred a taxi (even when public transport was a convenient option) in the days when Barnet residents had to pick up his fares.
I imagine Brian will be doing everything within his means (short of assaulting a woman), & offering lots of opinions to keep up his profile, between now & the May local elections.
Not sure this man is best placed to comment on public transport issues. He always preferred a taxi (even when public transport was a convenient option) in the days when Barnet residents had to pick up his fares. I imagine Brian will be doing everything within his means (short of assaulting a woman), & offering lots of opinions to keep up his profile, between now & the May local elections. Mr E Dance
  • Score: 1

11:43pm Wed 5 Feb 14

harvey_uk says...

When the strikes weren't on Coleman always clocked up the most expenses in cabs. RMT and Bob Crow went on strike with only 30% member support for a strike, the other 70% of RMT voted no, far to much power for a union! Tube needs to modernise and Bob Crow on his £150k pa salary should start to pay for housing instead of living in a tax payer subsidised council home.
When the strikes weren't on Coleman always clocked up the most expenses in cabs. RMT and Bob Crow went on strike with only 30% member support for a strike, the other 70% of RMT voted no, far to much power for a union! Tube needs to modernise and Bob Crow on his £150k pa salary should start to pay for housing instead of living in a tax payer subsidised council home. harvey_uk
  • Score: -3

12:06am Thu 6 Feb 14

G Sagar N2 says...

Touching to see Brian Coleman making Mayor Johnson's case for him after the Mayor's disgraceful refusal to campaign for Brian in the 2012 elections. Without the Mayor's support it was inevitable that Brian would lose his GLA seat for Barnet and Camden.And so it came to pass.
Touching to see Brian Coleman making Mayor Johnson's case for him after the Mayor's disgraceful refusal to campaign for Brian in the 2012 elections. Without the Mayor's support it was inevitable that Brian would lose his GLA seat for Barnet and Camden.And so it came to pass. G Sagar N2
  • Score: 1

4:05pm Wed 12 Feb 14

Andrew Haynes says...

I think Councillor Coleman will find that causing "48 hours of hell" was the actual purpose of the RMT and TSSA strike, otherwise there wouldn't have been much point in them striking.

I don't condone the strike, but I do believe that without ticket offices every station will need staff to help travellers who can't cope with the ticket machines or who need travel advice.
I think Councillor Coleman will find that causing "48 hours of hell" was the actual purpose of the RMT and TSSA strike, otherwise there wouldn't have been much point in them striking. I don't condone the strike, but I do believe that without ticket offices every station will need staff to help travellers who can't cope with the ticket machines or who need travel advice. Andrew Haynes
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree