Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting TIMES NEWS to 80360, or email us
Green Party join calls for Brent Cross call in
RESIDENTS are being urged to add their voices to calls for a public inquiry into the Brent Cross Cricklewood regeneration scheme by the Barnet Green Party.
The deadline for sending objections to Communities Secretary John Denham, who has the power to call in the plans for the 7,500 home development, is Friday, March 12.
Andrew Newby, the Green candidate for the Hendon Parliamentary seat, said: “The whole scheme is monstrously unsustainable and would have a damaging effect on wide swathes of north London well beyond the boundaries of Barnet.
"The housing programmes need major revision to make them sustainable and the planned expansion of Brent Cross shopping centre should be halted completely, having already been rejected at a previous public inquiry.”
Opponents say the scheme will bring 29,000 more cars to the roads and claim a planned power station is in effect an incinerator.
The Coalition for a Sustainable Brent Cross Cricklewood has already called on the plans to be opened up to a public inquiry.
However, developers the Brent Cross Cricklewood Partners say only 9,000 more cars will use the roads each day and the power station will not send harmful particulates into the atmosphere.
The scheme was referred to the Government Office for London and Mayor Boris Johnson's office last week.
Jonathan Joseph, who oversees the scheme for the developers has told the Times Series he would be “horrified” if the plans were to be called in by the Secretary of State.
Comments are closed on this article.