Curtis Weston says two games in three days is “the best thing that can happen” following defeat against Lincoln City last weekend but warns victory over Nuneaton Town is only “half a job done” over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Charlie MacDonald’s brace – taking him up to four in four games – gave the Bees a commanding platform from which to build after 13 minutes and the 33-year-old saw his second-half penalty saved by Boro goalkeeper Reice Charles-Cook as the visitors looked to pile on the misery for winles Boro.

With Dartford visiting The Hive on Monday, vice-captain Weston insists the job is not complete yet.

“It’s only half a job done really over the course of three days really, so we’re just looking to recover as quickly as we can and then go again Monday,” explained the midfielder.

“I think it’s the best thing that can happen that we’ve got two games in three days after losing because there’ are lot of points up for grabs and we’ve got three of them. Like I said, it’s half a job done and we’re obviously looking to Monday to get another three points.”

Fast starts have been a trait of Barnet’s opening four games of the new Conference season, with the Bees to the fore in three of those matches and Weston believes a quick start was key at Liberty Way after the disappointment of defeat by Lincoln City last weekend.

He explained: “I think that was important for us [starting fast]. We wanted to get out the traps quickly and we didn’t do it in our last game and we had to change it today.

“The warm-up was good – nice and sharp and we got straight into it and made a good start.

The former Gillingham man continued: “They’re a big, strong team but I think we defended well. We switched off maybe once or twice but throughout the game I thought we were the much better team and dominated the game.”

With the visitors creating chances at will during the first half, the margin of victory could have been bigger, particularly when MacDonald won a second penalty of the afternoon, but Weston always felt Martin Allen’s side were comfortable.

He said: “I think after 2-0 we sat back a little bit more and just tried to control it and pop it around a little bit and got sloppy a couple of times.

“We missed penalty, which is unlucky from Chaz [Charlie MacDonald], so if that goes in for 3-0 we’d be cruising even more but it was comfortable in the end.”