Barnet did everything but score as they recorded a 0-0 draw against fellow League Two strugglers Macclesfield Town.

The Bees came closest in the first half as Sam Deering’s low drive rebounded off the post. Ben May was inches away from turning in the rebound.

Barnet continued to dominate the match and should have come away with something to show for their efforts. Izale McLeod had the best chance after going round the keeper only to scuff the shot wide.

There was only one change to the Bees side as Deering returned to the starting XI in place of Darren Dennehy.

There was a great chance for Macclesfield in the opening stages. A free-kick was whipped into the Barnet box and Matt Smith was unmarked but directed his header wide.

Both sides then exchanged shots from distance but neither Jordan Mustoe nor George Donnelly troubled their respective opposition goalkeepers.

Smith again had a good opportunity for the home side but his tame shot from ten yards out was stopped by Dean Brill.

May was causing problems up front for the Bees and he felt a penalty should have been awarded as he sent a half volley at goal which appeared to be blocked by and arm.

The first half was a cagy affair although Barnet came closest to taking the lead. Good work from McLeod on the right flank enabled him to cut inside and lay the ball off to Deering.

The diminutive midfielder hit a low shot which beat Richard O’Donnell in the host’s goal but struck the post.

The rebound dropped to May. He took a touch around a defender but his strike from close range was well stopped by O’Donnell.

Barnet continued to attack and Ricky Holmes had a effort well saved.

In the closing stages of the opening 45 minutes a Macclesfield corner was headed over. Paul Downing took a hit amongst a cluster of players and remained down as the half came to a close.

Several members of the medical team spent the break attending to Downing and the defender was stretchered off during the interval.

Jack Saville was introduced in place of Downing and the former Chelsea player slotted in to the centre-back position.

The Bees continued were they left off in the second period. McLeod sent a shot from 20 yards just wide of the post before seeing an effort scrambled out of the goalmouth.

Macclesfield had mainly threatened from set-pieces but the Barnet defence had dealt well throughout the match.

Clovis Kamdjo and May also came close with efforts for the Bees who couldn’t find the goal their dominance deserved.

The home side came close as a Colin Daniel cross nearly ended up in Brill’s top corner but the Bees stopper did well to deflect the ball away.

Barnet continued to create the better opportunities and a Holmes shot rippled the side netting before McLeod had the best chance of the game.

The striker managed to get behind the host’s defence and take the ball around O’Donnell. With the goal completely open McLeod didn’t connect properly with his shot and the ball rolled wide.

McLeod continued to create chances. The striker again linked well with May before cutting inside and curling an effort over the crossbar.

However, the Bees couldn’t find the goal they deserved and the game ended in a goalless draw.

Barnet are back in action next Friday as they host Torquay United at Underhill.

Macclesfield Town: O'Donnell, Bateson, Brown, Chalmers, Donnelly, Daniel, Mendy, Diagne, Hamshaw, Futcher, Smith.

Macclesfield Town substitutes: Mukendi, Tomlinson, Connolly, Wedgbury, Aley.

Barnet: Brill, Kamdjo, Hector, Downing, Mustoe; Byrne, Deering, Hughes, Holmes; May, McLeod.

Barnet substitutes: O'Brien, Yiadom, McGleish, Saville, N'Daiye.