Hendon manager Gary McCann believes his side’s trip to Aldershot Town in the FA Cup first round will be one of the highlights of his managerial career.

But the Greens boss insisted his side won't be travelling to the Recreation Ground to just enjoy the experience of facing a League Two side.

It is the 21st time Hendon have reached the opening round proper of the competition and McCann is looking forward to facing the Shots.

He said: “I’m very proud of the team to get to this stage and there is no question we will go to Aldershot as massive underdogs.

“It is an occasion to savour but we will only enjoy the day if we get something and we put in a good performance.

“We will go there in reasonable form and in a confident mood but we have to respect the opposition.” McCann added: “When you are playing against league players you have to be concentrated all the time and defend well.

“We will want to show our ability and put the club in the spotlight.”

The Greens made it into the first round with a 2-1 win over Corby Town on Saturday. The Steelmen went ahead early in the contest as Josh Moreman converted from close range.

Corby dominated the opening half hour but Hendon resisted several attacks from the host before levelling the score. From a Town corner, the Greens broke down pitch and despite pressure from a host’s defender, Greg Ngoyi slotted home.

The second period was an even affair but it was McCann’s men who scored the winner. Scott Cousins played the ball to Michael Murray and he coolly fired in the winner to see Hendon through.

The Greens were back in action on Tuesday night as they took on Metropolitan Police in the Ryman Premier Division. Jack Mazzone put Hendon ahead before Tyron Smith’s goal ensured the points were shared.

Meanwhile, an injury ravaged Wingate and Finchley side suffered a 3-1 away defeat at Lewes on Saturday in the Ryman Premier Division. After a cagey opening half hour, the home side went ahead.

A cross by Lee Cooper found Anthony Thomas in the box and he headed powerfully into the net.

Lewes began to up the pressure after going ahead, Max Howell saw a low shot from the left side of the area pushed wide by Bobby Smith but shortly after the half-time break, the hosts scored a second.

Howell broke down the left wing and crossed for Thomas who had time to fire a controlled volley past Smith. Wingate made three substitutions and they had an immediate impact as the visitors pulled a goal back. A cross into the Lewes box wasn’t dealt with and Rocky Baptiste bundled the ball over the line.

However, with Wingate pushing forward, the home side restored their two goal advantage as defender Steve Robinson headed home to seal the win.

The Blues could do no better in their clash against Lowestoft Town on Tuesday as Wingate suffered a 3-0 defeat to leave Dave Norman’s side 15th in the table.